Bookkeeping & Finance Manager
Position Title: Bookkeeping & Finance Manager
Location: Grand Rapids, MI – in person with partial remote work opportunities
Position Type: Part Time Employee; Open to contractual work if preferred
Reports To: CEO
Start Date: Immediate
Schedule: 12-15 hours/week to start
Working Hours: Monday – Thursday, 1/2 Day Friday All Year
Between the hours of 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Can partially be remote
PTO: (10) Days
Paid Holidays (12):
New Year’s Day Martin Luther King Day President’s Day Memorial Day Juneteenth Independence Day Labor Day Thanksgiving Day Day After Thanksgiving Christmas Eve Christmas Day
New Year’s Eve
Starting Salary: $40/hour+ based on experience
Will transition to salary when position expands to full time
Benefits: To be available in 2024 for full time employees
About Public Thread X
Public Thread X is a 501c(3) nonprofit organization in Grand Rapids, MI. PTX is an upcycling design, upskilling and manufacturing innovation lab devoted to cultivating community solutions to promote the circular economy and reduce textile waste through equitable and sustainable practices.
We work with area manufacturers to divert their post-industrial scrap and surplus textiles from going to landfill and design around these materials in order to support living wage jobs, education, training and upskilling related to Sewn Trades.
This position is a critical addition to our overall organizational operations. This role will be in close working relationship with various Management staff of Public Thread/X including the Executive Director, Product Design Director, COO and Production Manager, to execute financial and operations management duties related to both our cut & sew manufacturing work and our training, education and upskilling service delivery.
We are a nonprofit organization with a social enterprise that generates income for our work, and help supports living wage jobs in our community. We also offer services through training, education, upskilling and supporting entrepreneurs to incorporate upcycled textiles.
The Bookkeeping & Finance Manager position includes bookkeeping, interacting with clients for invoicing and bill paying, assistance with product costing, financial tracking, budgets, running financial reports and other related financial, inventory and operations activities.
Scope of Work:
• Regular bookkeeping including data entry, recording of receipts, categorizing expenses, revenue, charitable donations, sales and grant expenses into QuickBooks and related systems.
• QuickBooks reconciliations on a weekly and monthly basis.
• Upload documentation of receipts and expenses to appropriate technology platforms.
• Track, manage and categorize spending against grants to ensure reporting is clean and aligned with grant agreements.
• Work with accounting firm to manage overall budget, actuals, expenses and projections.
• Produce and share reports regularly with Director and COO on expenses, spending, budgets and cost tracking.
• Assist with managing inventory quantities for website, in person store and other B2C outlets.
• Assist with product costing, COGS, wholesale and retail pricing.
• Manage payroll tracking, schedules and data entry into payroll system.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Highly organized, planful and detail oriented.
• Maintain a high level of security and confidentiality for all information, data, grants, budgets, financial statements, related documentation, at all times.
• Able to conduct analysis, evaluation and other cost, expense, revenue, COGS and other related analysis of financial related elements for the organization.
• Able to commit to being on site at workshop/lab.
• Degree in finance, accounting, business management or related field desired.
• 5+ years experience preferred
• Interest in being part of a growing team with a social and environmental impact.
• Ability to work with, interact and be in relationship with a diverse array of people from around the world and the community.
• We are an equal opportunity organization and no racism, classism, sexism, anti LGBTQIA or other exclusionary practices will not be tolerated.
1) Visit our website www.publicthreadx.org and learn about our work.
2) Please submit a narrative about why you would like to work with Public Thread/X and the kind of impact you would like to have. Please also share how your experience is relevant and will assist you in being successful in this role and assist in moving the work of PTX forward. Help us understand who you are and why this job is good fit for you, right now.
3) Resume which reflects your life experience and work history, skills and tools you bring to our organization.
Send to: Janay Brower, Founder/CEO at janay@publicthreadx.