Upcycling Sewist Position Description
Title: Sewist – Levels A-D
Reports To: Production Manager
Start Date: ASAP
Pay: Level A Sewist $18-20/hr
Level B Sewist $22-25/hr
Level C/D Top Sewists Salary
Advancement within and between levels is encouraged!
Schedule: Monday – Thursday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm and 8 am – 12 pm Fridays
Position Type: Hourly Contractor that can transition to Employee with benefits, post 60 day trial period, based on performance and fit.
Once an Employee you are eligible for stable 36 hour work week.
PTO: (16) Days (4 weeks)
Paid Holidays (12):
New Year’s Day Martin Luther King Day President’s Day
Memorial Day Juneteenth Independence Day
Labor Day Thanksgiving Day Day After Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve Christmas Day New Year’s Eve
Benefits: To be made available in 2024 for staff after trial period.
Sewist Position Role & Scope
This position is a full time position for skilled Sewists that are interested in being an essential part of our cut & sew manufacturing operations. We are looking for people with a passion for sewing, constructing and making sewn products using a variety of traditional and nontraditional textiles.
The position is responsible for executing industrial and production cutting & sewing of various sewn products, including but not limited to bags, accessories, apparel, home goods, soft goods, etc. for a variety of product types and uses using traditional and non-traditional textiles.
Skills Needed to be Successful in This Role
Level 1 – All Sewists All Levels
- Level 1 is our entry level position requiring basic understanding of sewing, working with textiles, how to execute straight stitches, sew according to instructions, maintain quality work, wind bobbins, thread/re-thread the machine and more.
- Ability to understand basics related to: tech packs, design instructions, patterns, how to cut properly, order of operations instructions and understand basic sewing to create products.
- Understand the difference in measurements (1/8”, 3/8”, ½”, ¾, 1”, etc) and their importance in sewing. Includes ability to read and regularly use rulers, pattern markers, math and counting.
- Shows capacity to grow in skills and ensure quality production.
- Able and willing to participate in production cutting and sewing on industrial sewing machines – including various types, brands of machines and attachments.
- Integrity and values alignment to social justice, equity and sustainability. Able to work well in teams of diverse individuals including those that speak English as a second language.
- Organized and self-driven with a proven record to follow through on what you say you will do.
- Able to accurately & cleanly cut pieces using a pattern and/or measuring tools for at least one layer of fabric. Ideal if candidate has capacity to learn to cut 2 or more layers at a time, within trial period.
- Must like to work in a fast-paced, ever changing, fun, and collaborative work environment.
- Able to participate in the cutting, preparation and pre-sewing processes as well as cleaning materials, folding, finishing and packing and jumping in to assist teammates if needed.
- Must be comfortable working with banners, billboards and signs along with vinyl, upholstery, leather, webbing/straps, zippers, piping, binding, nylon among a variety of other materials.
Level 2: Level 1 plus the following:
- Advanced understanding of tech packs, design instructions, patterns, how to cut properly, order of operations instructions and understand basic sewing to create products.
- Advanced sewing skills on multiple industrial sewing machines and machine types.
- Able to look at a sample and backwards map the steps for how it was created.
- Problem solving and troubleshooting abilities; assists team with finding solutions to design, manufacturing and efficiency roadblocks.
- Clean and accurate cutting ability for one or more layers of fabric from a pattern.
Level 3: Level 1+2 plus the following:
- Ability to create tech packs, design instructions, patterns, and production instructions.
- Shows master skill level for sewing multiple product types, understands use/application of variety of textiles and whether they will work for a particular design.
- Able to use technology, online and digital, inventory/order tracking & fulfillment tools.
- Shows leadership amongst peers and teammates.
Level 4: Level 1-3 plus the following:
- Able to conduct sewing tests for potential new hires or Sewists in Training.
- Can train new hires, students and/or class participants on process, procedures and how to sew and execute all the pre-production steps or other sewing related tasks.
- Master Sewist that can design, construct sample, create tech pack and pre-production materials, complete costing for products and
- Has proven leadership skills with team, students, Sewists in Training and community.
- Sewing test and skill assessment required.
- Ability to work at an industrial sewing machine, sit for periods of time, use fine motor skills, and be detail oriented.
- Able to carry up to 50 lbs; pull fabric rolls or materials from shelving, push carts with supplies, textiles and materials in them. Page 3 of 4
About Public Thread/X
WHO WE ARE: Public Thread X is an upcycling, design, upskilling & manufacturing innovation lab.
VISION: Public Thread X envisions a community that recognizes and honors the interdependence of the environment and people by re-thinking
and disrupting production processes through inspiring, bold and
MISSION: Public Thread X is a community-based upcycling, design and
innovation lab devoted to cultivating community solutions to
promote the circular economy and reduce textile waste through
equitable and sustainable practices.
We are a nonprofit social enterprise. This means we generate income from the production and sale of products for our own brand of products as well as offering contract services for other organizations and companies that would like to purchase sustainably and ethically made products for their supply chain, promotional products, SWAG, events, customers, etc.
We are grounded in two core areas of work that we live out according to our values:
- Circular Economy Development through the creative re-use of existing materials.
- Education, Training & Upskilling through programming and partnerships.
To Apply for this Position
- Submit resume or list of previous Sewing related employment, experience or understanding, with dates, key functions you did or engaged with.
- Submit note/letter/narrative on why this position is a good fit for your interests and skills and why you want to work at Public Thread/X.
- Email this information to:
- Janay Brower, Founder/CEO email@example.com