Position Title: Program Manager
Location: Grand Rapids, MI – in person with partial remote work opportunities
Position Type: Full Time (32 hours/week with ½ day Friday flex time)
Reports To: CEO
Start Date: Immediate
Schedule: 4.5 day work week
Monday – Thursday; 8am – 4pm OR 9am – 5pm ;
Half day Fridays all year – can be remote
PTO: (16) Days
Paid Holidays (12):
New Year’s Day Martin Luther King Day President’s Day Memorial Day Juneteenth Independence Day Labor Day Thanksgiving Day Day After Thanksgiving Christmas Eve Christmas Day
New Year’s Eve
Starting Salary: $68,000 – $70,000
Benefits: To be available in 2024.
About Public Thread X
Public Thread X is a 501c(3) nonprofit organization in Grand Rapids, MI. PTX is an upcycling design, upskilling and manufacturing innovation lab devoted to cultivating community solutions to promote the circular economy and reduce textile waste through equitable and sustainable practices.
We work with area manufacturers to divert their post-industrial scrap and surplus textiles from going to landfill and design around these materials in order to support living wage jobs, education, training and upskilling related to Sewn Trades.
We are seeking a skilled, experienced and passionate individual that could excel in the role of Program Manager. The Program Manager has a critical role in helping to develop, support, coordinate and manage the education, training and upskilling programs for Public Thread X. This is a new position for the organization and we are excited to grow this level of service for the community.
The Program Manager will be the main staff person working alongside the Founder/CEO to coordinate program offerings across three main areas and the individual chosen will have the opportunity for increasing leadership, growth and impact.
The position will oversee and manage:
- Catalyst Programming for the Community, and for Youth to learn about sewing, the basics of sewn product development, and textile upcycling through one time classes or short-term programs.
- Upskilling and Workforce Development for individuals that want to learn to sew for employment or want to upskill their sewing skills in order to advance their career in the Sewn Trades Industry. This program is delivered in partnership with Grand Rapids Community College and other partners. This will expand to include apprenticeships, advanced and/or specialized and custom classes in year two and beyond.
- Circular Product Incubator for entrepreneurs, designers and makers that are interested in learning and being immersed in how to design and bring sewn products to market using upcycled and repurposed textiles.
- Additional programs, specialized trainings, education opportunities and upskilling classes as needed.
Together these programs, trainings, classes and services support learning, upskilling, development, education, economic development, creative enterprise and a reconnection to how products are made and why its critical that we support people and the planet in the process of sewn product manufacturing.
Position Role & Responsibilities
- Lead the development of curriculum, content, scope of learning, activities and learning for the classes and programs including for youth, community, employment and workforce development, economic development and more.
- Ensure alignment of program scope, activities, instruction, class duration, etc. with outcomes and data collected from participants, programs, classes and trainings.
- Develop new programs, classes, trainings, etc in accordance with the goals, impact and resources of the organization, alongside the needs of the community.
Evaluation and Impact Measurement
- Lead the creation of impact and outcome measurements for participants and programs.
- Create Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) for each program and manage the data entry and evaluation of the KPI’s to assess and ensure high quality programming.
- Manage, coordinate and execute community outreach activities to build and maintain relationships with collaborative partners and organizations.
- Coordinate with community partners and networks to offer services aligned with programming:
- Examples: Engage Women’s Resource Center to assist with job interview practice and coaching; KCAD Instructor leads a class on patternmaking; GROW or Spring GR staff lead a session on building a business plan.
- Create systems and processes to maintain high levels of participation in offerings.
- Identify and engage appropriate instructors, trainers and educators for classes, trainings and services in alignment with the goals and objectives of offerings.
- Coordinate transportation, site visits, and all off-site activities.
- Work collaboratively with marketing and communications staff and partners to create engaging and effective communications about program offerings, in multiple languages as needed.
Supervise & Manage
- Set performance expectations, conduct performance reviews and feedback to instructors and trainers to ensure continuous high quality programming and service delivery.
- Design and execute assessment tools.
- Manage and work within budget and maintain cost controls for classes, supplies, instruction, and all program elements.
Support Learning Experiences
- Coordinate with instructors to ensure all supplies, resources and materials needed for classes are prepared and ready.
- Be willing to jump in and assist with class, training or instruction if necessary.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors degree required
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in program development, program management, education, training or related field
- Experience in workforce development, grant management and/or youth development in the nonprofit sector a plus
Position Qualifications and Competencies
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Proven experience in program management and leadership
- Ability to build, nurture and grow partnerships and collaboration with diverse stakeholders, funders and organizations
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure and in a fast paced environment
- Proficiency in project management tools and data management systems
- Values alignment with the organization is a must. This translates to the right candidate being personally committed to creating and maintaining an environment and communications that support advancing racial equity, LGBTQIA+ inclusion, accommodations for people with all abilities, assisting those with language barriers, and ensuring a welcoming and inclusive environment for those across our community.
Submit resume and cover letter to Janay Brower, Founder/CEO via email@example.com